About Me

My photo
Hi, my name is Jesse. I try to live my life for Christ every single day, but Im only human and I fall down ... a lot. Im not perfect, but the great part about that is the He picks me back up. As you can tell Im a Christian, its really not a religion it a relationship. That is a big part of my life, so when I'm not at church I'm at work or at school, studying to be an Engineer. Thats about all I can think of for now, hope whoever reads this is having a great day!

Followers

Friday, September 24, 2010

Ana Mendieta - Silueta

Ana Mendieta's work on Silueta in Mexico is the perfect example of artists giving form to the immaterial, revealing hidden truths and speaking strongly on personal feelings.  The imprint of her body in the rough looking ground covered in red paint is striking Silueta Piece.  The red paint symbolizes the stain of oppression from her past in Havana, Cuba where she fled from the communist movement of Fidel Castro.  She is well known in performance and landscape art.  Many consider her works as feminist, as she uses her own body within her pieces.  Much of what she creates uses natural elements creating the theme of earth and body, showing her fascination of life and death.  Unfortunately her works in art was cut short by a fall from her New York apartment.

Paintings :  Silueta's  Empowerment  Fire Burial

Bios:  bio1 bio2    

2 comments:

  1. When I was in grad school, we used to discuss her work all the time, wondering what would have happened if she wasn't killed (we all thought that her boyfriend killed her, but he news said that she "fell off the balcony")

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats what I was thinking! I thought it a little fishy that she "fell off the balcony" shortly after he moved in. Im sure her work would have been very interesting, be that it was very creative AND very bold.

    ReplyDelete